Millplough and Cluseburn
GCR acted as Client’s Engineer for Temporis Wind as they developed this two turbine project in Aberdeenshire. The enabling works for the project involved a 2.5km grid connection, 240m of new track, 600m of upgraded track, 1000m of asphalt finish road widening on an existing private road, and undergrounding 250m of overhead BT telecoms line.
The key elements undertaken by GCR were:
- Fulfilling the role of NEC3 project manager for Balance of Plant (Civils and Electrical) Contract. This included developing the scope of works, preparing the contract documents and managing the contract through to completion to ensure the project was delivered on time and within budget.
- Undertaking the role of Principal Designer as set out by the Construction Design and Management Regulations (2015) including coordinating communications between contractors, reviewing the construction phase plan and preparing the Health and Safety File.
- Discharge of planning conditions, including coordination of Archaeological watching brief with initial civil works.
- Appointment and management of BT Openreach to relocate a 250m stretch of telecoms line from overhead to underground within the road verge to enable delivery of the wind turbine generators, which have a travelling width of 5.7m.
- Full 3D design for all on site works to achieve efficient design by minimising earthworks. Design of off- site road widening using swept path analysis with topo data.
- Construction supervision at regular intervals throughout the construction process, including completion of pre-pour rebar inspections for both wind turbine foundations.
- Both turbines were successfully commissioned on 1st August 2016, well in advance of the Feed-in Tariff deadline of 30th September 2016.